The City Council unanimously voted to double the City’s homestead exemption to 20% — the state maximum. Let’s break it down.
- A homestead exemption allows homes to be taxed at 20% less than what they’re appraised for (so a $100,000 home would be taxed like a $80,000 home).
- To claim a homestead exemption, the property has to be your primary residence and the owner must have an ownership stake.
- Disabled and senior homeowners benefit from a tax freeze and reduction of the property tax rate.
- The Bexar County Appraisal District will automatically update existing homestead exemptions.
- The City will provide additional property tax relief through $85K in exemptions.
Need help understanding your property taxes? The city is offering free property tax help sessions. During the sessions, the San Antonio Legal Services Association will help explain:
- Different tax exemptions available to homeowners.
- Guide homeowners through the exemption forms to help lower their property tax bill.
For more info and to verify your exemptions visit the Bexar County Appraisal District website or call them at 210-224-2432.