Kids, this is the story of how I met your mother, and it was all thanks to SATXtoday.
Ok, so maybe that’s not exactly how the 2000s sitcom went, but if Ted Mosby had consulted us for date night ideas, we could’ve shaved the show down to two seasons (and saved his kids a lot of time). Regardless, whether you’ve met “the one” or are hoping to impress someone new, we’ve got 20+ local date night ideas that are legen — wait for it — dary.
For the ones who want a night out on the town
- Need a good ice breaker? Head out to the Laugh out Loud Comedy Club and laugh the night away. No need to grab a bite to eat before, the club has a full dinner menu and bar.
- Underneath the Bottling Department at the Pearl lies a romantic hideaway and club — Jazz, TX. Snag tickets to a performance and don’t forget the club’s kitchen + bar are open for dinner service.
- Check out a touring band or music artist at the Aztec Theatre in downtown San Antonio. Head up to the roof to the theatre’s terrace lounge for pre-show cocktails.
- Tucked away along Loop 410 just before IH-10 is Dad’s Karaoke. If you’re feeling brave, or want to show off your vocal skills, sign up to sing your favorite karaoke song.
- Want to impress your date? Take them to the Tower of the Americas for dinner at Charthouse and view the entire city from 750 ft in the air. Heights not your thing? Don’t worry, there are markets, movies, and other events that happen on the ground level.
If the way to their heart is through their stomach
- Jump on the elevator and ride up to the top floor of the AC Hotel San Antonio River Walk hotel to 1 Watson. The bar + restaurant overlooks the San Fernando Cathedral and has the best views of the sunset. Split a charcuterie board to start and get a few orders of sliders and tacos to share.
- Carpenter Carpenter knows how to create the perfect date night setting over at Upscale. With Caviar Deviled Eggs, sushi, and Duck Breast on the menu, your date will be impressed with your pallet. To guarantee a table, don’t forget to make a reservation.
- Hidden away just south of the San Antonio International Airport is Hanzo, a Japanese-style Gastropub. This spot now serves bento lunch boxes Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. Can’t make it for lunch? No worries, the establishment also offers happy hour and reserve happy hour.
- Take your date over to Alamo Beer Company for some local craft beer + delicious bites, a tour of the brewery, and stay for Beer, Bacon, and Bingo (only on Thursdays). Feeling romantic? Take a stroll along the Hays Street Bridge that runs over the brewery to catch some of the best skyline views of the city.
If you love the great outdoors
- Take your date to Japan without leaving San Antonio by heading out to the Japanese Tea Garden. Opened daily, and free, come explore the beautiful garden scape and pond full of koi fish. After roaming around the garden, stop by Jingu House for a bite to eat and something to drink.
- Take a stroll around the 38 acres that make up the San Antonio Botanical Garden. Learn about the 35 endangered and rare species that are cared for at the garden. Don’t forget to make a reservation at Jardín (inside the Daniel J. Sullivan Carriage House) and enjoy the Mediterranean cuisine by Chef Jason Dady.
- Need an idea for an early morning weekend date? Swing by the Historic Pearl Farmers Market and browse through over 50 local vendors ranging from wine, plants, handmade items, baked goods, and more. Pro tip: Don’t forget to make a brunch reservation at one of the restaurants in the Pearl.
- Take it to the trails with a hike along the Brackenridge Wilderness and Wildlife Loop. Know for being one of the best trails in the city, this is a great way to get some exercise and get to know your new fling. Bring your dog along to see if they approve of the new human in your life.
For the ones who like to play games (just not with your heart)
- Dating a gamer? Head over to this old-school arcade Diversions Game Room where you can play both new + retro arcade games and you can both geek out together.
- This one is for the competitive couples. Bring your date over to Monster Mini Golf on Thursdays for Black Light Date Night. The mini golf course is running a weekly special — $10 mini golf per couple. Loser buys drinks?
- See if your date can handle playing Monopoly by heading out to Black Potion San Antonio to play tabletop games. Nominated for “Best Bar Games” in San Antonio, this business also serves craft + local beer and wine.
- Hidden near the San Antonio International Airport is What’s Brewing. Located inside of a small warehouse, buy your date a cup of coffee and then beat them at a few games of pinball.
If you want an “old fashioned”-style date
- Get lost in conversation at the San Antonio Museum of Art by exploring its exhibits featuring cultures from around the world. They also have food and shopping events throughout the year. If you’re both Bexar County residents, swing by Tuesday from 4-7 p.m. or Sunday from 10 a.m.- 12 p.m. for free general admission.
- Take a short drive up to New Braunfels to the Stars and Stripes Drive-In Theatre. This drive-in movie experience is open daily at 7 p.m., features all the newest movies, and offers all the traditional movie treats — popcorn, candy, drinks, and more.
- Explore the animals at the San Antonio Zoo. You and your special someone can feed the giraffes, mingle with the flamingos, and go behind-the-scenes with the hippos. The zoo also has adult events throughout the year.
- Grab your skates + date, and head on down to the Rollercade for an old fashioned night out. Skate around hand-in-hand to all your favorite hits without dragging your date down. Stop by the snack bar for refreshments. Pro tip: Sign up for skating lessons to impress your date with some new skills.
If you wanna show off by knowing all the hottest events in town
- Sign up for our daily newsletter, where we call out our top picks of things to do around town. Your date doesn’t have to know we’re behind it, you can take all the credit.
- Stay up-to-date on the coolest local events around the Count Down City with our events page (and check out this guide for our tips on navigating the page).
What did we miss? If you know a perfect date spot that’s not on the list, guide us in the right direction using this survey.