Money doesn’t grow on trees. Well, mom, now it kinda does? Let us explain. The City of San Antonio and CPS Energy created a program that is both better for the environment + your wallet. The Green Shade Program incentives homeowners to plant trees in order to save on cooling costs.
How does it work?
Glad you asked. Homeowners can receive five, $50 rebates for each tree planted — rebates cap at $250. This is a seasonal program that runs annually from October to April. Pro tip: Rebates are awarded on a first-come-first serve basis.
Here’s how to qualify:
- Purchase trees in at least a size No.5 container (five gallon) or larger between October and April.
- Call 8-1-1 at least 48 hours before digging to avoid hitting underground utility lines and as required by law.
- Plant trees within 10–30 ft of an air-conditioned home on the west, south, or east side.
- Trees planted on the north side will not qualify.
- Complete + sign the rebate application and mail it in with the original sales receipt and a planting location map.
Fun fact: Planting trees on the west, south and east sides of your home provides shade from the sun during the hottest times of the day and can decrease heating + cooling cost by 25%.