Your neighborhood oasis — Carriqui is just days away from its grand opening. The new Pearl-area restaurant pays homage to San Antonio’s rich culture with a menu inspired by the flight path of the South Texas green jay. 🦜
Our team was able to attend a special tasting preview in order to give you all the deets on what to eat + where to sit.
Before we jump into our recs, here are three things you need to know about the restaurant:
- Germanic roots — The wooden house where Carriqui now occupies was built in 1890 for German brewmaster Fritz Boehler, who relied on the patronage of nearby Pearl Brewery employees.
- The old Liberty Bar — Fritz Boehler’s house was turned into the original Liberty Bar restaurant (now located in the King William district). In 2014, Carriqui acquired the building and launched an ambitious renovation project that spanned eight years.
- South Texas Cuisine — Executive Chef Jaime Gonzalez has curated a menu featuring ingredients and fresh foods from the Rio Grande Valley to the Texas Hill Country.
What to eat 🦜
While we didn’t get to try everything on the menu, here are our top picks.
- Calabaza Spiced Mule | Vodka, pumpkin spice, lime, ginger beer — $12
- Chips + Dips | Guacamole with lime and cilantro — $8
- Carriqui Nachos | Grilled nopales, quesillo, burnt ends, crema — $14
- Crispy Papas Bravas | Salsa macha, lime, mayo — $7
- Achiote Spiced Chicken Al Carbon | Half chicken with charred onion and jalapeño salsa — $25
- Crispy Churros | Served with Mexican Txocolate — $10
Where to sit 🦜
The restaurant will accept both walk-ins and reservations once opened.
- Near the fountain | For the patio lover… enjoy shaded areas + an outdoor bar.
- Second Floor, indoors | For the plant lover… relax in a tranquil atmosphere.
- Balcony | For the views… take in the sights of the Pearl district.
- At the bar | For the social butterfly… strike up a conversation at the original mahogany bar top.
You can visit this new spot at 239 E. Grayson St. starting this Fri., Sept. 2 — want the inside scoop? Check out our reel on Instagram.