You ask, we answer — our readers, Joe and Mike, sent us an email wanting to know more about major road construction happening in the Alamo City. So, we are putting the pedal to the metal and answering your traffic questions.
Here are four road-worthy projects happening in SA to fuel your excitement.
State Highway 151 Expansion Project
This development runs along 151 to Loop 410 and 1604. Construction broke ground in May 2023 and is expected to be completed in December 2026. Here are key highlights. For a full description, you can see it here.
- Addition of turnarounds for Military Drive W., Westover Hill Blvd., and Wisemen Blvd.
- Increasing lanes from four to six
- Addition of inside shoulders and a concrete median barrier
- New westbound 151 exit connector to 1604
Loop 1604 Expansion Project
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) announced in 2021 that plans were approved to improve 23 miles of Loop 1604 from SH-16 (Bandera Road) to I-35 in north Bexar County.
Here are the most notable improvements. For a complete list, you can visit TxDOT’s website.
- Expanding Loop 1604 from a four-lane expressway to a ten-lane expressway with the addition of two general-purpose lanes in each direction
- Adding one high-occupancy vehicle lane in each direction
- Accommodations for bicyclists + pedestrians, water quality protection, and other highway features
- A new La Cantera exit opened in July
The project is set to be completed in five segments:
- Segment 1 | Loop 1604 from SH 16 (Bandera Road) to I-10 | Anticipated completion: 2024
- Segment 2 | Loop 1604 and I-10 Interchange | Anticipated completion: 2027
- Segment 3 | Loop 1604 from I-10 to US 281 | Anticipated completion: 2025
- Segment 4 | Loop 1604 from US 281 to Redland | Anticipated start + completion: TBD
- Segment 5 | Loop 1604 from Redland to I-35 | Anticipated start + completion: TBD
I-35 Northeast Expansion Project
This massive development will be completed in three phases. Phase I broke ground in mid-2022 and has a goal to be completed in 2027.
Here’s a glimpse of what you can expect:
- Improvement to 9.5 miles along I-35 from I-410 North to FM 3009
- A plan to construct 15 miles of elevated lanes in both northbound and southbound directions along I-35
- Additional bridges will be constructed to connect the new upper decks of I-35 to I-410 North and Loop 1604 West
To keep up with the latest road developments in San Antonio visit TxDOT San Antonio’s website. Pro Tip: You can also catch a glimpse of other construction happening around the city with TxDOT’s interactive project tracker.