Calling all Jerk Shack and Mi Roti fans. James Beard Award nominee, Nicola Blaque — who is also the owner and chef of those Caribbean restaurants — is working on a new concept at Hemisfair, in the historic Schultze House.
The City of San Antonio Historic and Design Review Commission (HDRC) approved the design for her new venture, Port Royal, yesterday. The Schultze House is a 1,750-sqft home in the middle of Yanaguana Garden, the Peggy Mays Garden, and Civic Park.
The current structure in Hemisfair is a replica of the home built by Hermann and Mary Schultze in the late 1870’s. The original home was built on South Street and in the way of the Convention Center that was to be built for HemisFair ’68.
Unfortunately, the house was demolished after numerous attempts by Elinor Wilkes ( the Schultze’s granddaughter) to save it. In 1966, the home was designated as a Texas Historic Landmark and was rebuilt along Nueva Street using some of the original materials.
Here’s what we know:
- Located on E. Nueva Street on the southern end of the park
- The menu will feature flavors of the original Jerk Shack along with new elevated dishes
- First- floor full bar and cocktail program
- Two floors of dining with balcony seating and an adjacent patio in a garden oasis
- Construction is slated for fall 2023 and the projected opening is set for the summer 2024