The verdict is in — San Antonio is not only the best city for barbecue in Texas, but also the No.1 in the country (beating out Memphis, Dallas, and Kansas City).
Rankings were based on the following factors:
- Barbecue restaurants per capita — SATX: 4.3 per 100,000 residents
- Average Yelp rating of barbecue restaurants — SATX: 4.0
- Google Trends score for 10 barbecue terms — SATX: 94.5
- Hosted a major barbecue event — SATX: Yes
- Average distance between barbecue restaurants (in miles) — SATX: 4.6
- American Royal Barbecue Hall of Fame award winner — SATX: Yes
- Regional price for one pound of barbecue meat — SATX: $4.66
- Average income spent on barbecue — SATX: 0.36%
San Antonio is scheduled to host four major barbecue competitions over the next 12 months. No other city is hosting more than two.
Check out these three barbecue joints in the city.
- 2M Smokehouse, 2731 South WW White Rd. | Owned by SATX native Esaul Ramos, this joint landed a spot in Texas Monthly’s 50 Best BBQ Joints list.
- Pinkerton’s Barbecue, 107 W. Houston Street. | Head to the heart of the city and enjoy quality cuts with an urban view.
- Two Bros BBQ Market, 12656 West Ave. | This beloved barbecue joint was started in 2009 by brothers Jason and Jake Dady and has gone to win countless accolades.