Looking to meet your New Year’s resolution in San Antonio? From feeling fit to finding more family time, check out our local resolution recommendations below.
👟 Join a gym
- Heavy Metal Fitness | 2313 NW Military Hwy. | Join a community of lifters looking to take full advantage of this premier strength training facility that prides itself in having a family-like atmosphere.
- ALIO Fitness Club | 15909 San Pedro Ave. | Founded by two UTSA graduates, ALIO only employs trainers that are graduates of a four-year exercise science program. The gym is currently pioneering a Fit 3D body scanner to measure a member’s posture, body fat, basal metabolic rate, and body measurements.
- Crossfit San Antonio | 5337 Glen Rdg. | Regardless of age, physical condition, or experience level, this gym has been helping people achieve their fitness dreams for over 15 years.
📚 Read more books
- The Twig Book Shop | 306 Pearl Pkwy. | This Pearl staple has become a venue for local and national poets and authors. Can’t find what you’re looking for? The Twig can order it for you.
- Nowhere Book Shop | 5154 Broadway | Founded by bestselling author Jenny Lawson, this independent bookshop recently added a coffee, wine, and beer bar — allowing guests to shop, sip, and read all in one place.
- Guadalupe Latino Bookstore | 1300 Guadalupe St. | This store’s shelves house a curated selection of writers and books whose art, history, and culture are linked to the 40-year legacy of the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center.
🤝 Meet new people
- Alamo City Pinball League | What’s Brewing?, 138 W. Rhapsody Dr. | Take up a new hobby and make some friends along the way at this open division, co-ed pinball league.
- Bexar Run Crew | Various locations | Established by BEXAR Goods Co., this crew hosts several group distance runs of various lengths throughout the year. You can also check out its other social group for film fanatics: Bexar Movie Club.
- San Antonio Sports & Social Club | Various locations | All leagues are co-ed and open to those ages 21+. Don’t miss out on the happy hour after every game.
Feeling extra committed? Check out our roundup of other local social groups to join.
🎭 Watch local theater
- Magik Theatre | 420 S. Alamo St. | Bring the little ones to Hemisfair for professional and accessible literature-based theater.
- The Public Theater of San Antonio | 800 W. Ashby Pl. | Housed in a Greek Revival theater from 1930, the organization’s goal is to provide high-caliber, masterful theatrical productions with a style that is unique to our local culture.
- Woodlawn Theater | 4522 Fredericksburg Rd. (soon) | After a decade of award-winning productions, the historic Woodlawn Theatre (soon to undergo a name change + rebrand) will make the move to Wonderland of the Americas early this year — read all about it.
🥬 Go vegan
- Green Vegetarian Cuisine | 255 E. Basse Rd. | With nearly 15 years of bringing vegan eats to the Alamo City food scene, this restaurant is a great spot for those who are plant-based-curious.
- Hash Vegan Eats | 5007 S. Flores St. | Eat delicious plant-based meals paired with spirit-free cocktails from this spot’s dry bar.
- Viva Vegeria | 1422 Nogalitos St. | Tex-Mex food, but make it vegan + gluten-free. Chef Fred Anthony Garza has developed a menu focused on preserving Indigenous food of the land.
💼 Start a business
- Geekdom | 110 E. Houston St. | Get started with a collaborative community filled with resources and opportunities to help members grow.
- San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce | 3006 General Hudnell Dr. | Take advantage of year-round resources, events, and opportunities to develop a thriving small business.
- UTSA Small Business Development Center | 501 W. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd. | Meet with no-cost, one-on-one business advisors and access am extensive professional referral network.
🛍️ Shop local
- Chica Verde | 2314 San Pedro Ave. | Get your hands on unique porch, patio, and home decor.
- Karolina’s Antique | 1709 Blanco Rd. | Shop the most colorful + eclectic antiques with SATX flair.
Fifi and Fido Pet Boutique | 5120 Broadway St. | Get your four-legged friends in on the local biz love at this pet boutique + holistic approach pet nutrition center.
But don’t just take it from us. Here are 100+ more local businesses our readers love.
With that said, we’re so excited to be back for another year of loving the Alamo City and sharing it with all of our readers. Here’s to a phenomenal 2023 in the 210. 🥂