You may remember our story back in January on three major road construction projects coming to San Antonio.
Well, one project has officially broken ground on its first phase and might bring big changes to your commute — we’re breaking down what you need to know about the I-35 Northeast Expansion Central Project.
🛣️ About the project
Here’s a quick recap of the scope of the project.
- The project will focus on 9.5 miles along I-35 from I-410 North to FM 3009.
- Planned for the area are three elevated lanes in both directions.
- The new roads will be non-tolled and include high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes.
- The project also plans to incorporate flyovers to I-410 North and Loop 1604 West.
- Total design-build cost is estimated at $1.5 billion + is expected to be completed in 2027.
🛣️ Lane closures
Like with any major roadway project under construction, major disturbances with traffic are expected. The good news: lane closures have been confined to 9 p.m.- 5 a.m. Here are just a few to have on your radar:
- Right mainlane closure on southbound I-35 from Forum Parkway to Pat Booker Road
- Left lane closure on northbound frontage road of I-35 from Pat Booker Road to Forum Parkway
- Right lane closure on northbound frontage road of I-35 from Pat Booker Road to Loop 1604
- Olympia Parkway exit ramp (exit 173) closure on northbound I-35 and left lane closure on northbound frontage road of I-35 from Forum Access to Olympia Parkway
- Visit TxDOT’s website for a full list of lane closures across the entire city.
🛣️ How to stay updated
While we try to be your first source for local news, we also suggest checking out the following resources for timely updates: