This weekend is the perfect time to grab your tackle boxes, pack a picnic, and head to the great outdoors to fish.
Each year, the first Saturday of June is designated as Free Fishing Day by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD).
This means that all Texans can fish at any public waterbody in the state without a fishing license. If you’re an angler with one already, you can use this day to teach someone a new skill (and perhaps get them hooked).
In honor of Free Fishing Day, we’ve compiled a list of ways you can celebrate + enjoy this fin-tastic oppor-tuna-ty.
🎣 Fishing 101
- From basic fishing knots to fishing conservation, TakeMeFishing.org (or for our Spanish-speaking readers, VamosAPerscar.org) is the perfect place to learn all the information you need to tackle your next adventure in the water.
- Download + print this free ebook — “Everything You Need To Start Fishing Quick Guide” — to take on the go.
- TPWD is also a great resource for beginner videos, free webinars + workshops.
🎣 Local businesses to buy supplies
- Fish Tackle & Marine is your one-stop shop for all things rods, bait + apparel.
- If you have fishing equipment but need a reel or rod fixed, Matthew’s Rod & Reel Repair services all around South Texas.
- Located in New Braunfels, Action Angler specializes in fly fishing and provides guided tours for beginner anglers.
🎣 Find a place to fish
- Grab your rods + bait and rent a kayak for a paddle through Mission Reach, a place many locals fish for fun. Bonus: After a day of fishing, learn the art of birding at Confluence Park in celebration of #BlackBirdersWeek.
- Check out this list of community fishing lakes in the South Texas region.
- Before you start your fishing trip, make sure to check out TPWD’s fishing report on our local lakes like Braunig + Calaveras.
🎣 Free fishing events
- Junior Fishing Day | Sat., June 4 | 7-11 a.m. | Live Oak Municipal Park Lake | Free | Children ages 13+ are invited to fish for free (accompanied by an adult) while enjoying food + drinks from The Northeast Kiwanis.
- Boerne Family Fishing Tournament | Sat., June 4 | 9-11 a.m. | Boerne City Lake Park | Free | Grab your family and head to the Hill Country to compete in this fishing tournament — the first 100 pre-registered teams will receive a special giveaway item for their youth team members.
- LBJ State Park Annual Fishing Day | Sat., June 4 | 199 Park Rd. 52, Stonewall | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Free | Take a trip to ATX and enjoy a morning of fishing — bait and poles provided.
We hope you have a fabulous time reeling in a big one tomorrow. And if you plan on becoming a pro angler, visit the TPWD’s website for information on a fishing license.