Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, mangonada juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 50(ish)-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these SATX spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- On the Grind, Multiple locations | This coffee purveyor has been slowly expanding its reach across the Hill Country with one of its newest locations in Windcrest. Bonus: bring the dogs so they can get a treat of their own.
- Central Market, 4821 Broadway | Locally-sourced ingredients are always a win in our book. Pro tip: check out the Weekly Savor for deals to stock up on for the best road trip ever.
- Buc-ee’s, Multiple locations | How can we not make a road trip essentials list without including this Texas-sized convenience store? Whether you’re team #BeaverNuggets or #RoastedPecans, there’s plenty of options for everyone.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Santiago Jiménez Jr. | “Still Kicking!” (2022)
- Sleep Well. | “Jane” (2022)
- AJ Abdullah | “sleepy time tea EP” (2022)
- Piñata Protest | “Necio Nights” (2018)
- Joel Adrian | “White Lie” (2019)
- We’ve made it easy — check out the #SATXtoday playlist on Spotify where we’ve compiled all these songs + even more SA-based musicians in one place.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Chad Miller Auto Care, 6011 De Zavala Rd. | With over 15 years of automotive experience, this family-owned shop has a 1950s feel with state-of-the-art equipment. New clients qualify for 10% off (up to $100) on any service.
- Cambridge Auto Center, 9823 Fredericksburg Rd. | This family-owned shop has been providing auto maintenance in SATX for 35+ years and has been voted the best auto shop in recent years — check out its new client specials.
- Alamo Heights Garage, 8719 Broadway St. | Owners Gary and Darla Pundt were both raised in the Alamo City with years of experience + education in the field. The shop has been family-owned and operated since 1958. Active service members and first responders save 10% along with other new client specials.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank.
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many pet boarding facilities. Here are a few:
- Good Dog Boarding & Walks, 132 W. Grayson St. Ste. 150 | This daycare + boarding facility accepts small dogs (under 35 pounds or less than 15 inches tall). Pro tip: your pup’s first stay is free.
- Lucy’s Doggy Daycare and Spa, Multiple locations | This family-owned facility has been taking care of SATX furry friends since 2005. Pro tip: Lucy’s even has webcams if you want to check in on your best bud.
- Holidawg Pet Resort, 10742 Braun Rd. | Located near Helotes, this family-owned facility is providing quality care on the Northwest side. Pro tip: check out discounted rates for military, teachers, police + first responders.