Did you know San Antonio is home to four US military bases? The city has long been known as Military City USA, but it wasn’t until 2017 that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Official made it official.
As we approach Memorial Day, here is a list of monuments to visit around the Alamo City to honor our fallen heroes. These monuments honor heroes — both human and animals — as far back as the Battle of the Alamo in 1836.
- Medal of Honor Portal near the Tobin Center
- Veterans Memorial Plaza in downtown San Antonio
- Purple Heart Memorial and USS San Jacinto Bell near the Bexar County Courthouse
- Alamo Cenotaph Monument at Alamo Plaza
- The Mothers War Memorial near the Tobin Center
- Military Working Dog Teams National Monument at Lackland AFB
- Old Pat’s resting place at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery