The San Antonio City Council awarded local solar company, Big Sun Solar, a $30 million contract to install roof top, parking, and park canopy solar photovoltaic systems at 42 city facilities. The new agreement will move the city closer to its 2040 goal of zero net energy for all municipal buildings.
In addition to the energy-saving costs these are the other pro’s of this partnership:
- The project is expected to offset an estimated 11% of the City’s electricity usage.
- 23 installations will be parking canopies powering on-site operations and provide shade + hail protection.
- Creation of more than 15 full-time jobs.
To further boost San Antonio’s economy, Big Sun Solar is partnering with the St. Phillip’s College Solar Apprenticeship Program to give students on-the-job training, creating a pipeline of post-graduate careers.
The news comes a month after Sea World San Antonio announced that it too will be installing solar canopies to offset electricity costs, provide shaded parking, and reduce carbon emissions. However, they aren’t the only one’s getting in on this all-round green measure.
- La Hacienda de Los Barrios installed 52 solar-covered parking spaces.
- Cuisine Solutions Inc. has 60% of its near 500-space parking lot is covered in solar canopies.
- Viola’s Ventanas completed the construction of 58 solar-covered parking spaces.
Are you excited for more covered parking and solar panels in San Antonio? Let us know.