That’s right. The Poteet Strawberry Festival is celebrating 75 years of strawesome family fun and the best berries in the Artesian Belt this weekend.
Whether it’s your first time (or your 74th), we’ve got you covered with everything you need to know this year.
History of the fruit-filled festival 🍓
- The origins date back to April of 1948, when the Poteet Rotary Club organized the event in an effort to incentivize farm work for returning World War II Veterans.
- Another initial goal was to improve the packing of berries for buyers.
- The event was an immediate hit with ~5,000 attendees.
- Now, the festival attracts 100,000+ visitors to the grounds.
- An estimated 8,000+ volunteers from all over Texas (and even other countries) help stage the event.
Berries for a cause 🍓
The Poteet Strawberry Festival has now shifted its primary purpose to promote the city’s premier strawberries — an endangered crop. Through its proceeds, the festival has also been able to fund scholarships for local youth.
Poteet Strawberry Festival 2022 🍓
Looking for all the deets on this year’s festival? Look no further.
- While the grounds are only a ~40 minute drive away, you can check out the lodging + driving information.
- There are 16 entertainment stages featuring live music, contests, and rodeo shows.
- Check out the list of growers for “self-picking farms” near you.
Before you head out, here are a few pro tips from our team:
- DO: wear closed-toe shoes or bust out the cowboy boots. It can get dusty out in Poteet.
- DO: plan to arrive early. You may end up walking 10+ minutes to get into the festival grounds.
- DON’T: forget to bring an umbrella. While the probability of scattered showers is low, we recommend keeping a paraguas close.
- DON’T: forget to tag us in your photos. We’d love to see your local purchases by using the hashtags #BuyLocalBuyGreenSATX and #SATXtoday.